Sunday, April 17, 2011

It's the Beginning of the End

Today is the first day of our last week of hard training.  We got up at 6am, out the door at 7am (well...7:15..someone was dragging his feet a bit) and ran 18 miles this morning.  For the most part it was pretty painless.  Sure, our muscles are a little sore, and we are a little tired, but 18 miles just doesn't scare us like it used to.

Yesterday, as I ran a mere 4 miles, I couldn't help but reflect on our early days of training.  Christian and I joke about it often, how in those days (just 6 months ago), 7 miles was a long run.  On our first 8 mile run, we had to take a water break half way through.  What amateurs we were.   OK, I guess we are still novice marathon runners, seeming how we haven't even got to the big day yet, but we chuckle a bit at how many obstacles we seemed to over come in those early days.  Eight miles..HA....that ain't nothin' now!

It's been an amazing journey so far, and we still have 20 more days until race day.  As we look over the route and get mentally prepared, I can't help but get a little verklempt.  First, it is a huge accomplishment to run a marathon.  Not everyone can do it, not everyone does it, and if it was easy, everyone would.  Second, I get to run it with my son!  I know that is the whole point of this blog.  You're telling me you got it, right?  But I have to admit that this training together has really been fun.  We have certainly had some bumps in the road, but how many parents can say they get to spend several solid hours of quality time with their teenager every week.  How many teenagers are willing to spend that with their parents?  I've enjoyed every moment and I feel so lucky to be having this experience.  Christian and I have had conversations we may never have had otherwise, and we will certainly partake in an event that very few accomplish.  I feel that I am the luckiest mom in the world!  When we are all through, I will certainly miss this time together.

We have two more Sunday runs before the marathon which are 14 miles and 10 miles and we both agree that's not so bad.  I do have to admit that we are both looking forward to Sunday number 4. That's the Sunday after the marathon when we finally get to sleep in.

I just have to add that Christian has worked really hard over the past several months.  I mean, yes, we both have, but I think a lot is to be said for a 16 year old who is willing to go through months of hard training such as this.  See, it's not a school sport. There is no medal at the end or cheerleaders on the sidelines.  There's no state finals or picture in the yearbook.  It's just us and we haven't given up - Christian hasn't given up.   "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize."  1 Cor 9:24

We're determined, we've worked hard, and we won't be the first to cross the finish line, but we WILL win the prize.  Mark your calendars - May 8th.  Race begins at 7:30am - come out and cheer us on. We can use your support!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog. We're writing about you for our Gazette special section, where I know you'll be a big inspiration for others.

blaine lam
race director

Stacy C said...

Thanks, Blaine!

Anonymous said...

verklempt?..... I thought you were polish? :)

So not to blasphem, but perhaps a more appropriate quote would be from Steve Prefontaine...

"Most people run a race to see who's fastest. I run a race to see who has the most guts"

And I think any 16yr old that trains for a marathon and any mom who trains with her son and keeps him motivated and they grow closer because of it.... Well that takes guts and lots of it!

...either that or he doesn't want to belly up for a good mother's day present...

Stacy C said...

Thanks! I like to think we both have a lot of guts and this IS my mother's day present...but then you might say I paid for my own mother's day present....what a sucker I am! :)