Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Promise

I have been hesitant to blog about "the Promise."  I guess because I am really excited about it and I don't want it to go away.  See, if you know Christian at all, you know that he can change his mind...frequently.  One might say he changes his mind as often as a woman.  I wouldn't know what that means really...OK, maybe I would....no, I was wrong, I don't know what that means.  Anyway, Christian made me a promise and I don't want him to change his mind.

This is the story:  Several weeks ago we were on a Saturday run, nothing too strenuous.  We're talking and laughing and just enjoying the casualness of it.  Up to this point, we had been running most of our long runs (which we do on Sundays) together at first and then Christian would run ahead the rest of the way.  This was no problem for me; his pace was much faster and I know I was holding him back.  I had figured that based on his pacing and continued training, he would have a very good chance of running the Kalamazoo Marathon at a pace that would earn him a qualifying time for the Boston Marathon.  So we are about a quarter of a mile from home and here's what Christian says:

          "Mom, I've made a decision.  For the marathon, although I could run ahead, and I might really want to, I'm not going to. We are going to run this together the whole way and cross the finish line together."

Like any good mom I respond:
         "Christian, it's OK if you want to run ahead.  Don't let me hold you back."

          "Nope, we are running together the whole way."

I nearly broke into tears to know that my 16 year old, actually wants to spend time with me - I mean a solid 3 to 4 hour block of time.  I didn't cry though, because as any parent of a teenager knows, that would have been grounds to nullify the promise and I didn't want that to happen.  I am so excited.  We are going to have so much fun.  I mean sure, that was what my hope was when we had started this whole adventure, but as I have seen Christian progress, I was very much OK with the solo act.

Since the big declaration, we have had a few subsequent conversations about the promise.  These conversations have included stipulations by Christian where if any of the following happen, he will in fact run ahead.  These stipulations include:

        1.  I yell at him during the marathon (Do you think he means words of encouragement?)
        2.  I have to stop to use the bathroom (This may be inevitable, but I think it's just an empty threat)
        3.  I do anything to embarrass him (I'm a parent, and of course would never do this in any situation)

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping for the best, that nothing breaks the promise.  I am pretty sure it won't as I figure he needs me as much as I do him.

27 days and counting....now we just have to decide what to do for our finish line celebration.  Whatever it is, we will be doing it together!  Leave a comment with any celebration suggestions!

1 comment:

erik said...

You really do need to practice your finish line pose!