Thursday, April 28, 2011

Unsung Heroes

With only 9 days left until the Kalamazoo Marathon, I have been thinking more and more about the unsung heroes of our race.  These people would be our everlasting support and our constant cheerleaders.  They are the people who have to love us but don't necessarily want to hear about the marathon 24/7 but they do, and they listen and smile anyway.  They're our family.

We owe them a lot.  For Christian and I, this is mostly my husband, Roger, who deals with our early rising every Sunday morning.  He patiently waits for us to return so we can get ready and leave for church - which always seems rush, rush, rush.  He never gets angry if we're running late, he always asks how the run was and even fixes me coffee to-go for the car ride.  He never seems to tire of "marathon talk" and is our biggest advocate.  He cheers us on and is so excited that there are three generations of our family running.

For my dad, his unsung hero is my mom. Since Dad is doing all of his training alone, she goes out and rides her bike with him or meets him along the way to cheer him on or at least make sure he's still running.  She too never seems to tire of the marathon talk.  She will be running a 5k the day of the race and I am sure will be our loudest cheerer at the finish line - More Cow Bell, Mom!!!

Erik, who is coming from Atlanta, is wonderfully supported by his wife, Danielle.  She knows the routine of his neurotic training regiment but is a great support.  We are so glad she will be here to help cheer us on as well - we can use all the help we can get!

So, THANK YOU to our wonderful family, our cheerleaders, our support, our unsung heroes.  We know its been a long 8 months, thanks for hanging in there!  We'll have a big party at the Finish Line!

4 comments:

DeVisser Family said...

Hi Stacy and Christian! I saw your article today in the Kalamazoo Marathon insert in the paper. How fun to see your picture!!! I hope your last week of training goes well. I'm sure you'll do great at the Marathon. Hope you all are well!

Gretchen DeVisser
(Christian's 2nd grade teacher)

Stacy C said...

Thanks, Gretchen!

Anonymous said...

Unsung heroes... I ran my first marathon on 11-11-01, just 2 months after 9/11. They had to move the course off of Ft Sam Houston for security reasons.... I run all of my marathons thinking of everyone that protects us every day. Our brother, who I'm so proud of, serves in the army. He has seen combat duty as an enlisted airborneman and as an officer,is now a Major. And my roommate from college who has also seen 3 tours of duty and continually has to say goodbye to his 4 kids when duty calls. It's those guys that I think about at the finishline, it's those guys that allow us to cheer along the course and train and travel to the races....

Ofcourse lets not forget the DOT that kept the roads plowed for your training....

Stacy C said...

Amen, Brother!