Sunday, April 3, 2011

Working out all the Kinks

Today was the longest run before the marathon - 22 miles.  I think Christian and I are both in agreement when I say, it was also our worst run ever!  I am OK with that, though, in that we worked out all the kinks so we are prepared for the big day - the day that counts - marathon Sunday! 

We are counting down with just over a month left.  As I look at our training schedule we only have three hard weeks of training including this week and then two weeks of tapering until the marathon.  Tapering, is the gradual decrease in mileage and intensity in preparation of running 26.2 miles.

When we planned our run today, we both decided that we weren't so worried about the mileage so much as we just really didn't want to get up early.  We got up at 5am and were out the door by 6:02am.  Needless to say, we are really looking forward to a Sunday when we can sleep in.  As we left the house, it was dark; the weather was chilly but not too bad. After about mile 18, the weather turned.  First, light snow, then heavy wet snow, then rain.  We are now prepared for every kind of weather condition on race day - except warm and sunny. 

Running wise, I felt pretty good.  Christian on the other hand had zero energy most of the time.  I think he has now learned that, yes, you do need more than pack of gel chews to get you through 20+ miles - or at least I hope he has. I really don't want to go into all of our gory details that encompass the comedy of errors we experienced today, as I need to save some face. Let's just say that we learned a lot, we experienced some different things, we had a few epiphanies and race day will be great! 

With only 5 weeks left, I'm really glad we're on the downhill slide.  We are both just done.  We are ready to get this show on the road and get our lives back.  We are also wondering whose idea this whole marathon was to begin with.  It was mine, but don't tell Christian...shhhhh..it will be our secret.  We are excited for race day, but mostly so this torture we call training will come to an end.   As Christian tells me every time we go out for a run...he's tired of running.  Then he tells me today, that maybe he'll train again next year...WHAT?!  Well....we'll see. 

One month and four days and counting....if you haven't checked out the marathon site lately, take a look:  Kalamazoo Marathon.   We are hoping to have a lot of fans cheering us on. We would love for that to be you.  I know it begins early (7:30am), but what else do you have to do?  Check it out, cheer us on, or leave a comment with some encouraging words.  Thanks for your support and encouragement!

No comments: