Monday, May 9, 2011

And in the end....

Christian and I have now officially completed our first marathon!  We did it, we came, we saw, we ran and we finished the first ever Kalamazoo Marathon!  It was a tremendous experience and made for the best Mother's Day!  My son raced like a champion and I am so proud of him.

First, let me tell you that Christian had a great time at prom.  Prom was Saturday night and he ended up getting home just after midnight.  He got right to bed so he was "fresh" in the morning.  He and his date made a great pair and I am glad he had a fabulous time.  I promised a picture and here it is.


So onto the marathon news.  We learned a lot yesterday.  We learned that you never know what to expect on race day, and frankly anything can happen, so go with it.  Like I said, Christian was a champion.  We started strong and had a great pace going for the first half of the marathon.  We felt great.  The weather was a little warmer than expected but still very nice.  Around mile 16 Christian began to experience some very painful leg cramps in his quads and hamstrings.  Not wanting to cause any injuries, we needed to slow our pace and eventually had to turn to walking and running.  Although this did slow us down quite a bit, we never gave up.  We decided to adjust our goals.  Our original goal was to run the marathon in 4 hours or less, we changed our goals to 1) finish the marathon and 2) have fun. We accomplished both. We finished in just over 4 1/2 hours and I feel that all things considered we did great.  We finished strong and gave it our all.  As we approached the finish line there was another runner right in front of us. Christian turned to me and said, "Let's beat this guy!" I nodded, we went around on either side of him and sprinted in to the finish line...together!   We raised our hands in celebration - we just ran our first marathon!

My brother, Erik, finished in 3 hours 11 minutes and won not only his age group, but also came in 2nd in the master's division.  My dad finished with a fantastic time of 5 hours 5 minutes and after a beer he felt great!  I am so proud of you both!

The crowds that came out to cheer everyone on were fantastic!  The support for all the runners was great! Thank you to all who made it such an unbelievable day - the public safety officers, the volunteers, the race organizers, and most importantly our family of who we couldn't have done it without your support!

Christian and I are still feeling the affects of the marathon but will be looking forward to my mother's day gift of massages on Saturday.  Once we are pain free, then maybe we can contemplate whether we should attempt this adventure again.  I decided that it is kind of like giving birth; you must first forget the pain before you can decide to jump back in for more. 

My dearest readers, alas I feel that I must relay some sad news, and that is the inevitable end of this blog. As this chapter of our lives comes to a close, so must this story.  This is a sad moment for me as I have enjoyed very much relaying our fun journey.  I am contemplating the beginning of a new blog for your enjoyment and hope to begin soon.  On a brighter note, tune in for at least one more post, as I hope to have some pictures to share from the marathon.  I appreciate your feedback and comments; or if there are subjects that peak your interest which you would like me to blog about, please me know and I will put them under consideration. 

Stay tuned for a final entry and thank you for your support and encouragement!

No comments: